- 24.2-megapixel CMOS APS-C size sensor
- Hybrid CMOS AF III Hybrid CMOS autofocus
- DIGIC 6 processor, with up to 4.2 fps burst mode
- ISO 100-12,800 with boost to 25,600
- 3-inch, 1.04M-dot Touchscreen LCD
- Full HD 30p/24p video with Movie Servo AF
- Built-in Wi-Fi with NFC
- Built-in flash, hot shoe
- EF-M lens mount with optional adapter for EF/EF-S lenses
- SD/SDHC/SDXC media with UHS-I support
(From Canon literature) Canon U.S.A. Inc., a leader in digital imaging solutions, has announced the EOS M3, a compact and stylish interchangeable lens digital camera created for enthusiast photographers who demand premium performance. Fusing Canon's outstanding image quality and DSLR-levels of control in a small and lightweight camera body, the EOS M3 camera offers the ability to capture important moments in outstanding detail.
At the heart of the EOS M3 camera is Canon's latest and most advanced digital imaging technologies, including the company's high-resolution 24.2 megapixel APS-C CMOS image sensor and its most advanced image processor, DIGIC 6, delivering premium quality stills and Full HD videos. Combined with super-fast AF performance, thanks to a new 49-point Hybrid CMOS AF III Autofocus System, this digital camera gives photographers the freedom to capture the beauty of movement. Advanced photographers will find everything they need at their fingertips, with intuitive DSLR-like dials and control, as well as access to the entire lineup of more than 80 Canon EF, EF-S and EF-M interchangeable lenses*, all shrunk down into a compact, mirrorless body to take with them wherever they go. Advanced EOS camera technologies built into the EOS M3 camera include:
- 24.2 Megapixel APS-C Canon CMOS Sensor, with a sensitivity range from ISO 100 to 12,800 (expandable to 25,600 in H mode) paired with Canon's proprietary
- DIGIC 6 Image Processor to capture high-resolution photos and Full HD videos with brilliant color and stunning detail.
- 49-Point Hybrid CMOS AF III Autofocus System for fast and accurate autofocusing of stills and videos, up to 6.1x faster than the original EOS M.
- Front and Rear control dials for full manual operation and customizable functions as well as improved ease of use.
- Intuitive Touch Screen 3.0-inch tilt-type (180 degrees up/45 degrees down) ClearView II LCD screen (approximately 1,040,000 dots), perfect for quick focusing and shooting, easy menu navigation, and simple viewing of images and videos.
- Built-in Wi-Fi** and NFC*** for streamlined photo sharing and wireless remote control.
"Canon U.S.A. is bringing to market a new member of the EOS family - the EOS M3 - to help satisfy the market's demand for high-quality compact cameras with large image sensors and interchangeable lenses," said Yuichi Ishizuka, president and COO, Canon U.S.A., Inc. "It is the ideal camera for advanced amateurs and enthusiasts looking for a compact interchangeable lens camera option with genuine EOS camera system support, performance and compatibility, as well as professional photographers looking for a full-featured compact secondary camera."
Photographers familiar with other Canon EOS cameras will note the EOS M3's interface is similar to Canon's current EOS DSLR cameras, making operation easier for existing users. The LCD panel's tilting capability makes it easy to shoot from various angles while the capacitive touch screen allows intuitive image capture and playback with easy-to-understand information and real-time controls.
The EOS M3 camera offers photographers the flexibility to unleash their creativity through its compatibility with Canon EF-M lenses as well as a wide variety of Canon EF and EF-S lenses when used with the optional Mount Adapter EF-EOS M. Other compatible Canon accessories include EX-series Speedlite flash units, Speedlite Transmitter ST-E3-RT, and Electronic Viewfinder EVF-DC1. Users will also have the ability to remotely capture and share images with Canon's Camera Connect smartphone application**, using the EOS M3's integrated Wi-Fi and NFC connectivity.
Pricing and Availability
Canon's EOS M3 Digital Camera is scheduled to be available in early October 2015 for an estimated retail price of $679.99. An EOS M3 EF-M 18-55mm IS STM lens kit will be available in the customer's choice of black or white for an estimated retail price of $799.99. Additionally, a two lens kit featuring the EOS M3 digital camera with the EF-M 18-55mm IS STM lens and the EF-M 55-200mm IS STM lens will be available for an estimated retail price of $1,049.00.
The following Canon lenses will also be available in early October:
- EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM wide-angle zoom lens for an estimated retail price of $399.99
- EF-M 22mm f/2 STM compact prime lens in silver for an estimated retail price of $249.99
- EF-M 55-200mm f/4.5-6.3 IS STM telephoto zoom lens for an estimated retail price of $349.99
For more information and the full list of product specifications, visit: http://www.usa.canon.com/eosm3
Availability, prices, and specifications of all products are subject to change without notice. Actual prices are set by individual dealers and may vary.
*Optional Mount Adapter EF-EOS M required.
** Compatible with iOS versions 6.0/6.1/7.0/7.1/8.0/8.1, Android smartphone versions 2.3.3/4.0/4.1/4.2/4.3/4.4/5.0 and Android tablet versions 4.0/4.1/4.2/4.3/4.4/5.0. Data charges may apply with the download of the free Canon Camera Connect app. This app helps enable you to upload images to social media services. Please note that image files may contain personally identifiable information that may implicate privacy laws. Canon disclaims, and has no, responsibility for your use of such images. Canon does not obtain, collect or use such images or any information included in such images through the Canon Connect app.
*** Compatible with Android devices version 4.0 or later.
See our Canon EOS M3 review at imaging-resource.com, or post your review below!