(From company literature) Kenko DG Teleplus Auto Extension Tube Set. Extension tubes are designed to enable a lens to focus closer than its normal set minimum focusing distance. Getting closer has the effect of magnifying your subject (making it appear larger in the viewfinder and in your pictures). They are exceptionally useful for macro photography, enabling you to convert almost any lens into a macro lens at a fraction of the cost while maintaining its original optical quality.
The DG extension tubes have no optics. They are mounted in between the camera body and lens to create more distance between the lens and film plane or imaging sensor. By moving the lens father away from the film or sensor in the camera, the lens is forced to focus much closer than normal. The greater the length of the extension tube, the closer the lens can focus. This DG Extension tube set has been upgraded to work better with digital SLR's and some digital only lenses while maintaining compatibility with full-frame lenses.
The Kenko DG Auto Extension Tube Set contains three tubes of different length, a 12 mm, 20 mm, and 36 mm, which can be used individually or in any combination to obtain the desired magnification. Kenko also makes a DG Unitube 12 mm or 25 mm which can be purchased individually.
Kenko's Auto Focus extension tubes are designed with all the circuitry and mechanical coupling to maintain auto focus and TTL auto exposure with most Canon and Nikon lenses, given there is enough light to activate the cameras AF system properly.
- When using extension tubes the lens will not focus to infinity. The focus range will be greatly limited to a very close focusing distance.
- There is light fall off when using any extension tube, sometimes the equivalent of 3 f-stops of light is lost when using multiple extension tubes together. This light lost can affect the camera's ability to auto focus. Manual focusing is recommended should the lens begin to "hunt" (not lock onto the subject).
- Canon EF-S lenses will not mount on the Kenko DG Extension Tube Set. These lenses include but not limited to EF-S 10-22, EF-S 17-85, EF-S 18-55, and EF-S 60mm Macro.
- Nikon "D" information is not transmitted because the lens is focusing closer than its programmed to focus.
- Kenko Auto Extension Tubes are not auto focus compatible with Nikon AF-S (Silent Wave) lenses, manual focusing is required with these lenses.
- Extension: 36mm, 20mm, 12mm or any combination
- Dimensions (Length x Width): 36mm/1.42 in., 20mm/0.8 in., 12mm/0.5 in. x 62mm/2.4 in.
- Weight: 125g/4.4 oz, 85g/3 oz, 60g/2.1 oz (36mm, 20mm, 12mm respectively)
- Available Mounts: Canon, Nikon
- Notes: Diaphragm and metering coupling for full auto-exposure; Includes front and rear caps